Estate Lawyer Fort Collins, CO
If you want to establish an estate plan, you should speak to William B. Moore, an estate lawyer in Fort Collins, CO. A lawyer can help you create a valid plan that clearly states your final wishes.
Why You Should Have an Estate Plan
Many people put off estate planning because they think they’re too young or don’t have enough assets yet. This is a big mistake. Here are several reasons why you should have an estate plan.
- It Will Financially Protect Your Family: You don’t have to be super wealthy to need an estate plan. If you’re the breadwinner of your family, you want to protect them if something should happen to you. If you have an estate plan, you will have peace of mind knowing that your assets will be passed onto your family and they won’t be left empty handed.
- Your Children Will Be Taken Care Of: If you have minor children, you have another important reason to create an estate plan. While it’s unpleasant to think about, life can be unpredictable. If you die unexpectedly, you want someone responsible and trustworthy to look after your kids. To ensure this, don’t forget to designate a legal guardian in your will.
- It Can Reduce Family Conflicts: The last thing you want is for your family members to turn against each other after you’re gone. Unfortunately, however, this can occur in families. If one sibling, for example, believes he or she should get more than everyone else, fights can happen. If you designate who you want to inherit what in an estate plan, you can minimize the risk of this happening. An estate lawyer in Fort Collins, CO can help you with this.
- It Can Reduce Estate Taxes: When you’re gone, you don’t want estate taxes to eat up a large portion of your estate. You want your beneficiaries to receive what you originally intended, after all. If you put an estate plan together, you can reduce these taxes.
- It Can Appoint a Healthcare Proxy: If you should become physically or mentally incapacitated during your lifetime, you want someone you trust to make medical decisions on your behalf. That’s another good reason to have an estate plan in place. You will be able to appoint an agent with power of attorney for healthcare who will carry out your wishes regarding healthcare.
If you’re ready to establish an estate plan, you should contact William B. Moore, an estate lawyer in Fort Collins, CO. We offer free consultations after business hours and by Zoom to accommodate your schedule.