Living Will Lawyer Fort Collins, CO
If you wish to create a living will, you should consult a living will lawyer in Fort Collins, CO. A living will, also known as a health care directive, is one of the most important estate planning documents you have. An experienced lawyer can help you establish a valid living will that clearly states your wishes.
What a Living Will Does and the Benefits
A living will is a legal document that explains your medical wishes to family members and health care providers in case you are no longer able to convey them yourself. Here are the benefits of having a living will in place:
- Turn Down Treatments You Don’t Want: There may be several medical treatments you don’t want for one reason or another. For example, you may never want a doctor to administer a feeding tube. If you have a living will, you will have a say in the kinds of treatments you want and don’t want.
- Reduce Burden on Your Family: If you become incapacitated during your lifetime, it will undoubtedly provide grief for your family members. If they are left to decide on your medical treatments, it can lead to even more stress. That’s another good reason to have a living will. The document will clearly state your medical wishes, so it will be less of a burden on your loved one.
- Avoid Conflict Among Family Members: If you don’t have a living will and become incapacitated, your family members will have to choose medical treatments on your behalf. However, not every family member may agree on the same treatment, creating arguments. If you establish a living will, you can help your family avoid conflict.
- Provide Flexibility: One of the great things about a living will is that it can be altered whenever you wish. If you happen to change your mind about the type of medical care you want, you can ask your lawyer to make changes to your living will.
- Prevent Financial Issues for Your Family: The last thing you want is for your family members to struggle financially to pay for your medical care. If you create a living will, you can reduce the cost of your medical care.
If you have additional questions about a living will, you should schedule a consultation with a living will lawyer in Fort Collins, CO. At W.B. Moore – Attorney at Law, we offer free consultations after normal business hours and by Zoom.