Will Lawyer Fort Collins, CO
If you want to establish a will, you should talk to William B. Moore, a will lawyer in Fort Collins, CO. A skilled lawyer can help you create a valid will in a timely manner and give you peace of mind.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Creating a Will
No matter what your age and financial situation, it’s important to have a proper will in place. It will ensure your final wishes are carried out and that your family members are taken care of. Here are some common mistakes you should avoid when writing your will:
- Neglecting to Discuss Your Plans with Your Family: It’s a good idea to talk about the details of your will with your family members early on. This way, there won’t be any surprises and fewer conflicts will arise. For example, if you plan to give one child a bigger inheritance because he or she isn’t as financially secure as the other, explain your decision to your family.
- Forgetting About Your Pet: When creating your will, remember to include your furry family member in it. After all, you want your pet to be taken care of if you should die suddenly. Specify who you want to take your pet and instructions on how to care for it. You may also want to include a pet trust to fund your furry family member’s care.
- Leaving Out Certain Assets: Another common mistake people make is not including certain assets in a will. If you don’t include all of your assets in your will, they become subject to state rules. Even smaller items, like photos albums and family heirlooms, should be included in your estate planning documents.
- Selecting the Wrong Executor: The executor of your will is responsible for paying your remaining debts and distributing assets to your heirs. It’s a big responsibility and shouldn’t be given to just anyone. The person you choose to take on this role should be trustworthy, impartial, organized and financially savvy.
- Not Updating Your Will: One of the biggest mistakes you can make with your will is not updating it when necessary. When you experience a big life change, such as the birth of a child or divorce, you need to revisit your will again. Otherwise, it can create issues after you’re gone.
If you need assistance with your will, schedule a free consultation with William B. Moore, a will lawyer in Fort Collins, CO. We offer consultations after regular business and by Zoom hours to make it convenient for you.